There is not another place in the world you can feel this way!
Originally from the East Coast, Pete grew up skiing near Syracuse, NY. Realizing the snow gets better when you head West, Pete has been making the trek for nearly twenty years. After skiing in Colorado he was hooked on the west and really fell in love with downhill skiing. In April 2001, a snowstorm of 108” hit Utah. This is when Pete really sunk his teeth into Alta and Utah stole his heart. As a professor of emergency medicine with a large number of days to recover from stressful ER shifts, Pete is often able to spend 50+ days per year on the Alta slopes.
In 2001, Pete and his family stayed at a nearby lodge, but after trying Goldminer’s in 2003 he made fast friends with Jonathan, Front Desk Manager at the lodge. Now Pete and his family visit several times each and every year, usually for several days to weeks at a time. When asked, Pete says one of his favorite things about Alta and Goldminer’s Daughter is the shared passion for skiing and the tight knit community, both in the lodge and at the ski area. He finds that GMD is the best place to stay at Alta, with Collins lift just steps outside the door stating, “The food is incredible. The people are incredible. It is the happiest place on earth.”
He shares, “My favorite time of the day is morning coffee with Ross and Trainer, it’s a sacred time.” After meeting Elfreide Shane, former owner of GMD, Pete knows that Jenn and Ross were the perfect successors. They have kept the spirit alive and still maintain the same traditions. “There is not another place in the world that you can feel this way. There is a focus on you as a human being at GMD that is special compared with other hotels/lodges. Jonathan, Jenn and Ross attract guests that fit in with the culture of GMD. It is about the experience.” Making friends at the community table is one of Pete’s talents, and he spends his days skiing with those he meets during mealtimes. Pete suggests getting to know all the employees and guests, as they will become your lifelong friends and skiing companions. “Relax and enjoy the experience. It is laid-back and friendly. Where else would you rather be?”
When asked to share a few of the reasons Goldminer’s is so special he couldn’t stop… this list is long, but close to Pete’s heart.
- Goldminer’s Daughter Lodge is the best piece of Real Estate in skiing. Yards from Alta Ski Area’s Collins Lift.
- The food is incredible. The people are incredible.
- Even when he travels alone, he knows people there.
- The best part of the day is Coffee Talk, enjoying morning coffee with Trainer & Ross reading the newspaper.
- Take advantage of morning coffee, take the opportunity to get to know management and owners.
- GMD is about the human element. The relationships.
- Most people in the ski industry are not the quality of individual that Jenn or Ross.
- There is not another place in the world that you can feel this way.
- There is a focus on you as a human being at GMD. This is not something you can reproduce. It isn’t contrived. It is authentic. Jen and Ross seem to enjoy guests that fit into the laid back culture of GMD and shared love for the mountain
- It is about the experience.
- Apres Ski is a very special time as well.
- Get together with people and meet guests.
- The community table has been the source of 30+ lifelong friends. Take advantage of that.
- Take the time to get to know the people who work there. When you get to know them and show interest in them. It becomes much more than staying at a lodge on the slopes.
- Relax and enjoy the experience. It is laid-back and friendly. Where else would you rather be?
- Little light in the drop-off circle is a great place to look and see how hard it is snowing in the early morning and at night.
- Alta tends to under report the snow.
- It is the happiest place on earth.